Live Webinar New I-9 Immigration Form and Changes Employers Must Follow; Create Your I-9 Correction and Storage Process That is Accepted by Department of Homeland Security (DHS)!
01:00 PM EDT | 10:00 AM PDT | 12:00 PM CDT Duration 90 Minutes
This activity has been approved for 1.5 HR (General) recertification credit hours toward aPHR, PHR, PHRca, SPHR, GPHR, PHRi and SPHRi recertification through HR Certification Institute (HRCI). Please make note of the activity ID number on your recertification application form. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit the HR Certification Institute website at www.hrci.org
""The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institutes (HRCI) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.""
New I-9 Immigration Form and Changes Employers Must Follow
“Free I-9 Correction and Storage Toolkit Accepted by DHS!”
On September 29, 2017, the DHS and Immigration Control Enforcement (ICE), the enforcement arm of DHS, hired 3 floors of new I-9 Document Auditors in their Tampa Field Office. This increase is to accommodate a huge push to conduct I-9 document audits to increase their fines and penalties since they know most Employers have errors! ICE is counting on Employer errors to increase their budget! Are you prepared????
I was one of 3 compliance auditors who reviewed over 7,000 I9 documents from an agricultural farm in Florida in 2012. We were hired when the company was audited for I9 document violations and possible violation for hiring illegal immigrants. It was the start of when regulatory agencies were cracking down on immigration hiring and the abuse of immigrants. The company, a strawberry farm in Lakeland, Florida paid over $350,000 in fines and then agreed to have Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), the enforcement arm, conduct an audit of all their I-9 documents for the past 5 years.
It was during this intense audit that I learned some of the details and idiosyncrasies of I-9 document corrections and what ICE determines as compliance.
Because of this internal review and agreement, the strawberry farm had with DHS, the fines were reduced to $150,000 with an ongoing audit for the next 5 years. Here is where I learned that I9 documents can be an easy way for DHS to identify fines and penalties. There is no reason to give any regulatory entities free money in violations and fines.
On June 30, 2016, the Department of Justice (DOJ) along with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have issued several rulings outlining several civil penalties increases, ranging from small hikes to doubling penalties. This started with Federal Civil Penalties Inflation Adjustment Act (FCPIAA) signed into law in November 2015. This ruling also adds a catch-up adjustment as well as annual adjustments.
Not only does this ruling impact all Immigration processes but it will impact the number of fines and penalties that Employers must pay if they are audited for I9 documentation but also will impact most Immigration processes and regulations.
• Learn what types of errors have the highest fines;
• Ensure you have the most current I9 forms that is required;
• What has changed in the most recent focus with the new political administration?
• How is the right way to correct I9documents and save your company from unnecessary violations?
• What is the minimal risk Employers have when establishing an I9 document Correction & Storage Process?
• How should I9 documents be effectively corrected?
• How long should I9 documents be retained for active and terminated employees?
• Why are most Employers unclear about completing the new I9 form?
• Why are most HR professionals or those responsible for processing I9 documents still violating the request for documents section?
• What can you do if you have remote employees when it comes to I9 forms?
• What new immigration guidelines do Employers need to be aware of with the new administration?
• What is the Council for Global Immigration and what employees are protected?
Who will Benefit
• Board of Directors
• Program Managers, Office Managers (with HR Roles)
• HR Workplace Compliance Professionals (Officers, Directors, Managers and Specialists)
• Senior HR Professionals
• Operations Professionals
• Anyone Interest in Learning More About new immigration I-9 documentation new I-9 form
• HR Professionals
• Office Managers and/or any professional on-boarding new hires
Industries who can attend
This 90-minute online course is intended for professionals in the all Industry. Although not presently stated in the draft , the same guide could be used by FDA Regulated Industries personnel.
• Defense contracting
• Aerospace & defense
• Real estate
• Data Protection
• Privacy Services