Terminate for the Right Reasons-and Avoid Legal Headaches
01:00 PM ET | 10:00 AM PT | 12:00 PM CT Duration 60 Minutes
How to handle tricky termination decisions
Think “employment at will” protects you from former employees’ claims? Think again. Whistleblowing and discrimination are just two ways you can run into legal trouble when firing workers, and those are headaches you don’t want to invite.
In this comprehensive webinar, labor attorney Susan Desmond will walk you through sound practices for employee termination—ones that can minimize future litigation. Desmond will outline public policy exceptions to the employment-at-will doctrine, as well as whistleblower exceptions, so that you full understand your liability for discrimination, retaliation, and other employee claims.
After attending this instructive session, you will understand your company’s obligations to its employees under federal law. You’ll also know how to handle tricky termination decisions—such as when employees have engaged in protected activity. Don’t mishandle this important task. Arm yourself with the knowledge you need to make a sound termination decision and conduct a proper termination meeting
This program will teach you how to:
• Understand the employment-at-will doctrine (and its public policy exceptions)
• Understand whistleblower exceptions and protections
• Comply with employer obligations toward employees under federal law
• Make the right decision to terminate—at the right time
• Handle terminations when employees have engaged in protected activity
• Avoid wrongful termination claims
• Conduct a compliant termination meeting
Who will Benefit
All employers, both public and private
Industries who can attend
This 60-minute online course is intended for professionals in the All industries and companies.