HIPAA Privacy Rule Primer — What the HIPAA Privacy Officer Needs to Know
01:00 PM ET | 10:00 AM PT | 12:00 PM CT Duration 90 Minutes
Webinar Includes : All the training handouts , certificate ,Q/A and 90 mins Live Webinar
"im Sheldon-Dean is the founder and director of compliance services at Lewis Creek Systems, LLC"
HIPAA and how they relate to the issues of today
This session will focus on understanding what are the issues that a HIPAA Privacy Officer faces today, and what are the areas of HIPAA that are changing. While the rules have been in place for years now, the focus of their application has changed as technologies and practices have changed, and changes to the rules are on the horizon. In addition, there are changes in other regulations that interact with HIPAA requirements, and that require consideration in your planning. The session will discuss the latest topics of interest and describe how they relate to the regulations and their enforcement today.
This Webinar discusses the foundations of HIPAA and how they relate to the issues of today. The rules to be discussed encompass the full range of the HIPAA Privacy Rule, with particular focus on the areas that have seen changes in the rules, technologies, or practices that impact HIPAA compliance. Patient rights and controls on uses and disclosures have been in flux, HHS has issued guidance, and other regulations related to personal information have been enacted or modified. Healthcare entities face significant challenges with issues today that didn’t even exist a few years ago, such as insecure communications, Ransomware, and the E.U.’s GDPR, protecting all kinds of personal information. As opioid issues have spread, interactions with the SAMHSA 42 CFR Part 2 regulations on information relating to substance use disorders have taken center stage. There is no shortage of topics of interest to the HIPAA Privacy Officer.
This Webinar is designed for the HIPAA expert and HIPAA newbie alike who wishes to stay up with changes to HIPAA and related regulations in personal information privacy and security, as well as understand the regulatory issues most frequently encountered in day-to-day operation of health care entities.
Discussions will include a variety of topics, beginning with understanding the variety of forms entities can take under HIPAA and how they relate to one another, learning about patient rights, such as access and amendment of information, and how such rights are protected and enforced under HIPAA, and how uses and disclosures may take place in a wide variety of circumstances, including such hot topics as sharing information with the family and friends of a patient when they’re involved with the patient’s care.
• Current topics of interest to be discussed include:The place of Information Security and incident management under the HIPAA Security and Breach Notification Rules will be explained.
• Current enforcement and audit activity,
• Changes to Substance Use Disorder records confidentiality under 42 CFR Part 2,
• Dealing with the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and
• Ensuring individuals have adequate access of their information under the rules.
• Processes to be used in managing security, mitigating risks, and handling incidents will be explained.
• Proper methods of documentation and training to ensure compliance and help avoid penalties will be explained, including the use of internal audits and drills to develop and hone the ability to:
• improve compliance continuously and
• be prepared for incidents and enforcement investigations.
Who will Benefit
• Compliance director
• Privacy Officer
• Information Systems Manager
• HIPAA Officer
• Chief Information Officer
• Health Information Manager
• Healthcare Counsel/lawyer
• Office Manager
• Contracts Manager
Industries who can attend
This 90-minute online course is intended for professionals in the Healthcare Industry.