Spray drying: Operation, Optimization and Design Aspects
01:00 PM ET | 10:00 AM PT | 12:00 PM CT Duration 90 Minutes
Webinar Includes : All the training handouts , certificate ,Q/A and 90 mins Live Webinar
"Herberto Dutra, Engineer with 30 years of experience in the Food Industry, having worked for the following companies: World’s Finest Chocolate, Kraft Foods, Nestlé, Bay Valley y Sensient"
Balance the science behind Spray-Drying with real-world challenges
This 90-minute online training focuses on Spray-Drying process and technology, which is present in numerous industries. Even though the training will focus on the fundamentals of Spray-Drying by emphasizing scientific principles that are common to any industry, specific examples will be given for applications in Food, Beverages, Chemicals, Pharmaceuticals, Pulp and Paper, etc. The course will balance the science behind Spray-Drying with real-world challenges that are faced on the day-to-day routine of Operations, Engineers and Science Professionals.
Module 1 – Fundamentals of Spray Drying Technology
• Introduction to Spray Drying
• Elements of a Spray Dryer processing line
• Feed slurry conditions – Pre-heating, viscosity, solids percentage, etc.
• What makes a particular product more challenging to dry than others?
• Methods of liquid atomization: Which method to select?
• Configurations of Spray Drying Systems.
• Single-stage versus multi-stage drying processes
• Chamber design and configuration
• Instrumentation. Critical variables to monitor and control in a Spray Drying process.
• Droplet drying theory.
• Air-Powder separation
Module 2 – Introduction to Calculation Methods
• Spray Dryer Thermal Efficiency Formula
• Mass and Energy balance analysis
• Introduction to Psychrometry
• Water vapor – air mixtures
• Evaporative cooling
• Dry bulb and wet bulb temperatures
• Relative Humidity
• Psychometric charts
• Air-Powder separation calculations
Module 3 – Practical Applications
• Pilot plant testing
• Challenges in Spray Drying processes
• Incomplete drying
• Drying chamber impingement
• Powder line blockages
• Product out of spec
• Troubleshooting/ Root Cause Analysis
• Product specific examples
• Case study
• Learn about the fundamentals of spray drying, including all its different units of operation.
• Select and design the best spray drying system, based on the application requirements.
• Perform basic dryer calculations to determine the system’s efficiency and base line.
• Troubleshoot typical problems that occur in Spray Drying operations.
• Learn the drying system’s limits and how to increase process efficiency.
• Learn the critical design parameters for all units of operation that are part of a Spray Drying system
Who will Benefit
Anyone involved with the operations, design, testing and projects requiring Spray Drying technology.
• Operations Professionals
• Engineers, Scientists
• Quality Control Professionals
• Health and Safety Professionals and anyone involved with Spray Drying systems. Professionals who work in the Food, Beverages, Specialty Chemicals, Pharmaceutical, Pulp and Paper, Pilot Plants, etc. will greatly benefit from this course.
Industries who can attend
This 90-minute online course is intended for professionals in the Food Industry